February 20, 2008

Too much Diet Coke with supper = insomnia for me!

I really, really want to be sleeping right now... but it's not working!

So, I'm slightly less annoyed with the gov't right now... though not 100% over today's events. I did get things straightened out and I will be getting paid by Thursday (with my re-payement of the over-payment also being taken care of... though I have a sneaking suspicion they messed that up... though only by a few extra dollars to me for the time being).

I had to deal with another gov't department today as I went to get Logan's SIN (so we can set up an RESP for him). That actually went pretty smoothly. They told me it would be an hour wait, but it only took 40 minutes (I like it when people over-estimate the wait time, as opposed to under-estimating it like my doctor's office always does). My son now has a SIN and soon (perhaps next month) we will apply for a passport - for our trip to Ontario, as we are likely going to drive through the States... and although it's not required until Jan '09 (I think), we would like to have them to minimize any issues at the border.

I have to call the gov't tomorrow, as they F-ed up my T4E (my T4 while on maternity/EI) form (surprise, surprise). It really amazes me how difficult it is to get money back from the gov't when they owe it to you, yet if you owe them... they demand it immediately. Go figure!

Anywoo... enough of that!

I signed Logan and I up for "Parent & Tot" swim lessons... I am super excited! :) They start next week.

There's an AB election in March and I need to figure out who I'm voting for. I, like a growing number of Albertans, am not happy with the leadership of the provincial PC party (King Ralph's successor is losing the support of people who are normally 100% PC). Political analysts are saying that one reason an election was called so soon - it didn't "need" to be called until fall 2009 - is so that the Wildrose Alliance Party doesn't have a lot of time to get fully up and running. The rumor is that Stelmach is worried he might lose. If you're a "true-blue" Albertan... and thus wouldn't vote Liberal (no offence, LJ) until hell froze over (not necessarily my opinion, just the way a lot of Albertan's are)... and won't vote Green (too much oilfield influence)... then there is really just the Wildrose Alliance Party left. I have to do some reading on them before the election.

In other interesting election news... the riding that has the best chance for Alberta's first Green Party member to be elected... is my riding! The man running is very well known... very influential... and has a huge following after he led the group that prevented a controversial high-voltage powerline from being run through central AB. That will be very interesting to watch. He has said that if he is elected, "there will be a lot of uncomfortable men/women in the parliament."

One final note... the Blogger spell-check still isn't working... I appologize for my horrible spelling! :)

No comments: