Okay... I had intended to do this post a heck of a lot closer to Logan's one month birthday (Oct 22), but it just didn't happen. So, here I am (finally).
First off, there was something I forgot to mention in the post about Logan's birth - and that is the night after he was born. Logan got more sleep than I did! I had heard that for some women, the feeling after giving birth is best described as euphoric. Well, that would be how I would describe it. That night I could not fall asleep, though heaven knows I was utterly exhausted. I probably only got 2 hours sleep at most, dozing off here and there. The rest of the time was spent staring at my son in amazement. I am still shocked by the fact that something so amazing came out of me. At one point a nurse caught me simply staring at Logan and remarked, "You're in love, aren't you?" And yes, for the first time, I knew that love at first sight was indeed possible.
The first month as a new little family has been full of ups and downs. Most of the "downs" are usually linked to a severe lack of sleep. All-in-all, life is good right now.
We have experienced thrush - and that is not a fun experience, let me tell you! Both Logan and I just finished our medicines for that on Sunday. I'm really glad his medicine is all gone (mine was a cream), as it was really upsetting his poor little tummy. We went through a heck of a lot of gripe water during that week!
I had the flu Monday night/Tuesday, but so far Logan is fine (apparently babies receive antibodies in breast milk so they don't necessarily get sick when Mom does). Thank goodness James was home Monday night! When I fed Logan at 2am I was so shaky and weak from fever/chills that I was scared I would drop him if I tried to move him. So, I had to call for James who then took care of him until his next feeding, by which time my fever/chills had subsided enough that I knew I'd be okay to function when James was at work on Tuesday. I still had a bit of a fever all day (100.5 deg F) and felt really weak - Logan and I spent pretty much the whole day on the couch watching TV. By bedtime, my temperature was back to normal and today I'm feeling good - just a little tired. I am so happy that Logan didn't get sick at the same time as me!
Logan is a little fussy at times - he fights falling asleep almost all the time and he wants to be held almost constantly when he's tired/sleeping. If he wakes up during the day and I had put him in his swing, he gets mad. And let me tell you, this little man has a temper! His lungs will be well developed, that's for sure. The only reason I'm able to be typing this post is that I am finally making us of my Moby Wrap. We are attempting the cradle hold right now. I need to put the wrap on a little tighter next time I attempt this, but all-in-all it is working well. I have two hands free and Logan is happily napping.
Breastfeeding is going okay, other than the recent bout of thrush. Most days Logan has himself (I am demand feeding, not attempting to do scheduled feeding at this point) on a 3 to 4 hour schedule, which isn't too bad. Some night he'll sleep longer - 5 or 6 hours... which is really nice, but hasn't happened lately. However, I think he went through his "6 week growth spurt" a week early, as Sat/Sun/Mon he was feeding every 2 hours (thankfully at night he went his usually 3 to 4 hours). Apparently babies go through growth spurts around 3 weeks, 6 weeks, and 3 months - though each individual child can be off that schedule a little bit. He is very gassy (poor little guy). I'm avoiding dairy, though I caved and had some ice cream the other day, as apparently that is one of the biggest causes of gas in breastfed babies. I miss cheese! I hope he gets less gassy soon, I feel bad for him. I'm really hoping he didn't inherit his father's stomach - JB has a really finicky, easily upset stomach.
I can't believe Logan is over 5 weeks old already! The last month has been a blur. Some days I feel like I'm getting into a routine, but others I find myself overwhelmed. Life completely changes when you bring a little one into the world. I'm sure things will get more organized, but I think it will take a while yet. Perhaps by 3 months I'll feel like things are under control again.
I was going to dress Logan up for Halloween today - he was going to be a yellow M&M. However, due to my flu I never made it into town to pick up something I needed for his costume from my friend. So instead he is simply wearing his little diaper shirt that JK bought for him - it's black with a glow-in-the-dark ghost on it and it says "Daddy's lil ghoul." I'll take a picture of him in it sometime today and post it.
Well, that's it for now folks. Hopefully I can manage more than one post every 2 weeks from now on! I will definitely try my hardest...
First off, there was something I forgot to mention in the post about Logan's birth - and that is the night after he was born. Logan got more sleep than I did! I had heard that for some women, the feeling after giving birth is best described as euphoric. Well, that would be how I would describe it. That night I could not fall asleep, though heaven knows I was utterly exhausted. I probably only got 2 hours sleep at most, dozing off here and there. The rest of the time was spent staring at my son in amazement. I am still shocked by the fact that something so amazing came out of me. At one point a nurse caught me simply staring at Logan and remarked, "You're in love, aren't you?" And yes, for the first time, I knew that love at first sight was indeed possible.
The first month as a new little family has been full of ups and downs. Most of the "downs" are usually linked to a severe lack of sleep. All-in-all, life is good right now.
We have experienced thrush - and that is not a fun experience, let me tell you! Both Logan and I just finished our medicines for that on Sunday. I'm really glad his medicine is all gone (mine was a cream), as it was really upsetting his poor little tummy. We went through a heck of a lot of gripe water during that week!
I had the flu Monday night/Tuesday, but so far Logan is fine (apparently babies receive antibodies in breast milk so they don't necessarily get sick when Mom does). Thank goodness James was home Monday night! When I fed Logan at 2am I was so shaky and weak from fever/chills that I was scared I would drop him if I tried to move him. So, I had to call for James who then took care of him until his next feeding, by which time my fever/chills had subsided enough that I knew I'd be okay to function when James was at work on Tuesday. I still had a bit of a fever all day (100.5 deg F) and felt really weak - Logan and I spent pretty much the whole day on the couch watching TV. By bedtime, my temperature was back to normal and today I'm feeling good - just a little tired. I am so happy that Logan didn't get sick at the same time as me!
Logan is a little fussy at times - he fights falling asleep almost all the time and he wants to be held almost constantly when he's tired/sleeping. If he wakes up during the day and I had put him in his swing, he gets mad. And let me tell you, this little man has a temper! His lungs will be well developed, that's for sure. The only reason I'm able to be typing this post is that I am finally making us of my Moby Wrap. We are attempting the cradle hold right now. I need to put the wrap on a little tighter next time I attempt this, but all-in-all it is working well. I have two hands free and Logan is happily napping.
Breastfeeding is going okay, other than the recent bout of thrush. Most days Logan has himself (I am demand feeding, not attempting to do scheduled feeding at this point) on a 3 to 4 hour schedule, which isn't too bad. Some night he'll sleep longer - 5 or 6 hours... which is really nice, but hasn't happened lately. However, I think he went through his "6 week growth spurt" a week early, as Sat/Sun/Mon he was feeding every 2 hours (thankfully at night he went his usually 3 to 4 hours). Apparently babies go through growth spurts around 3 weeks, 6 weeks, and 3 months - though each individual child can be off that schedule a little bit. He is very gassy (poor little guy). I'm avoiding dairy, though I caved and had some ice cream the other day, as apparently that is one of the biggest causes of gas in breastfed babies. I miss cheese! I hope he gets less gassy soon, I feel bad for him. I'm really hoping he didn't inherit his father's stomach - JB has a really finicky, easily upset stomach.
I can't believe Logan is over 5 weeks old already! The last month has been a blur. Some days I feel like I'm getting into a routine, but others I find myself overwhelmed. Life completely changes when you bring a little one into the world. I'm sure things will get more organized, but I think it will take a while yet. Perhaps by 3 months I'll feel like things are under control again.
I was going to dress Logan up for Halloween today - he was going to be a yellow M&M. However, due to my flu I never made it into town to pick up something I needed for his costume from my friend. So instead he is simply wearing his little diaper shirt that JK bought for him - it's black with a glow-in-the-dark ghost on it and it says "Daddy's lil ghoul." I'll take a picture of him in it sometime today and post it.
Well, that's it for now folks. Hopefully I can manage more than one post every 2 weeks from now on! I will definitely try my hardest...


1 comment:
Logan is such a cute little fellow! Give him a cuddle from Auntie Nej!
I'm glad things are going mostly okay (sickness aside). I'm sure things will calm down a little in the next few weeks. Glad to get an update since I've been thinking about you guys. :)
Post a Comment