August 10, 2007

Prenatal update...

Well, I had my prenatal visit yesterday (appointment #8 I think) and all is well in the world of Baby Bee. He is turned (head down) and apparently his head is quite low - my doctor said this is good for two reasons... 1) It means baby can fit when making his entrance into the world, and 2) It may signal that baby will make said entrance sooner rather than later.

The doctor answered a bunch of my questions about epidurals and although he's made it quite clear that he thinks there's no reason not to have an epidural, he also isn't pressuring me. I can make my decision when I go into labor and I can try to go medication-free first and then ask for one (as long as I don't wait too long)... it is up to me (and JB also said the decision is mine, though he sides with my doctor). So, I really don't know for sure what my plan will be. I do know that I do not want narcotic medications - these are the ones that have side-effects for Mom and make Baby dopey after birth. Perhaps I will learn more tomorrow at Part 1 (of 2) of my prenatal class.

The one thing I did learn yesterday (besides the fact that I've basically gained 30 lbs!!! Though I don't think I "look" like I've gained 30 lbs) is that Baby Bee is around/over 6lbs, which is big for this stage... thus Wednesday's ultrasound will not be my last. My doctor will schedule an ultrasound for Week 37 (approx. 3 weeks from now) to see how big Baby Bee is then. If he's looking to get "too big", then I may be induced early from what I understand.

I learned an important lesson today. Although I don't believe I'm "waddling" when I walk (apparently once baby turns and moves downward, pregnant ladies tend to waddle), I cannot walk near as quickly as I normally do. I was walking in the mall and I had to cut my pace to about 1/4 my normal speed... walking too quickly is very uncomfortable and also results in serious cramps. I don't know if it's because of how Baby Bee is positioned or what it is... but man, I'm going to be a slow-walker (not a spilly-talker) for the next little while.

Another pregnancy development... My sciatic pain is all but disappeared. JB thinks that getting the van has been the thing that's made the biggest difference where that is concerned - with the van I literally slide in and out of my seat without really changing height; with my car, I was plopping or falling down into it (landing hard sometimes) and then having to climb back out. I don't know if it's 100% due to the van, but I am so happy not to have that daily pain right now!

Tomorrow is a pregnancy-filled day! From 10am to 3:30pm I have Part 1 of my prenatal class (Part 2 is next Saturday). Then, my baby shower is at 7:00pm! I'm looking forward to the shower... I think it will be a smallish group, but it will be fun. I'm not sure what my friends who are organizing it are scheming... they have been keeping me in the dark! I do believe one of the games involves me blindfolded. :D

Well, enough rambling for now. I need to find my husband... I seem to have lost him and I was hoping to go to the movies tonight. Chat you all later...

6 comments:

BrightDolphin said...

Ooooh! If you have Baby Bee early, I could get to meet him when I come to Alberta!!!!! :D :D :D :D

I'll be flying into Calgary on September 9th, and I don't have a flight home booked. I'm thinking that it would be nice to fly home on the weekend of the 22nd/23rd since I will be working until at least the 19th. I won't know for sure until I get to Alberta though.

C-dub said...

Hey nej, if you come home on Sept 23rd, we may be at the airport at the same time again ;) CT and I get back from our honeymoon in the evening on the 23rd.

I'm glad it looks like one of Baby Bee's Ontario aunties will get to meet him soon (provided he makes his entrance to the world ahead of schedule).

BrightDolphin said...

I'm leaning towards the 22nd, so I have a day at home before I have to go back to the office. I will have a lot of laundry by then... ;)

Lotus Blossom said...

Let me know when you're definately coming. My last day of work is August 31... so I'll be on a flexible schedule until the squirmy Baby Bee arrives!

BrightDolphin said...

I'm flying to Alberta on the 9th for sure. Then I am working until the 19th for sure. After that is still somewhat in limbo (i.e. I may have to re-visit a site, or do some additional research). I'm getting excited! :D

C-dub said...

How did Part 1 of the late prenatal class go on Saturday?